Web
Analytics
Thornton Watlass Hall

The  

villages  

of  

Thornton  

and  

Watlass,  

once  

separated,  

were

mentioned  

in  

the  

Domesday  

Book  

in  

1086,  

Thornton  

then  

being

owned  

by  

Ribald  

who  

was  

mesne  

lord  

under  

his  

brother,  

Alan,

Earl  

of  

Richmond.  

Before  

the  

Conquest,  

the  

Saxon  

owners  

were

Ulward  

and  

Stan,  

who  

most  

likely  

had  

a  

house  

on  

this  

site.  

In

1286,  

Peter  

de  

Thoresby  

held  

the  

land  

and  

his  

descent  

led  

to

Agnus  

Clarvaulx,  

nee  

Thoresby,  

who  

owned  

most  

of  

the  

present

estate  

and  

married  

her  

second  

husband,  

Thomas  

Dodsworth  

in

1415, from whom the present family are directly descended.

A  

primarily  

Jacobean  

Grade  

1  

listed  

house,  

based  

on  

the  

edge

of  

the  

Yorkshire  

Dales,  

has  

some  

featured  

windows,  

including

Gibbs  

surround  

and  

earlier  

mullion,  

but  

mainly  

Georgian  

sash,

and  

a  

Dutch  

gable  

to  

the  

West.  

The  

interior  

is  

decorated  

with

early  

18th  

and  

19th  

century  

paintings  

and  

furniture,  

together

with some internal door features.

On  

the  

22nd  

January  

1784,  

by  

Royal  

Warrant,  

a  

Baronetcy  

was

bestowed  

on  

the  

family.  

  

The  

Hall  

is  

now  

the  

home  

of  

Sir  

David,

the   

9th   

baronet,   

his   

wife   

Liz   

(Lady   

Dodsworth)   

and   

their

children.

© Thornton Watlass Hall 2018

History

Thornton Watlass Hall

The  

villages  

of  

Thornton  

and  

Watlass,  

once

separated,  

were  

mentioned  

in  

the  

Domesday

Book  

in  

1086,  

Thornton  

then  

being  

owned  

by

Ribald  

who  

was  

mesne  

lord  

under  

his  

brother,

Alan,  

Earl  

of  

Richmond.  

Before  

the  

Conquest,

the  

Saxon  

owners  

were  

Ulward  

and  

Stan,  

who

most  

likely  

had  

a  

house  

on  

this  

site.  

In  

1286,

Peter   

de   

Thoresby   

held   

the   

land   

and   

his

descent  

led  

to  

Agnus  

Clarvaulx,  

nee  

Thoresby,

who  

owned  

most  

of  

the  

present  

estate  

and

married     

her     

second     

husband,     

Thomas

Dodsworth  

in  

1415,  

from  

whom  

the  

present

family are directly descended.

A  

primarily  

Jacobean  

Grade  

1  

listed  

house,

based  

on  

the  

edge  

of  

the  

Yorkshire  

Dales,  

has

some    

featured    

windows,    

including    

Gibbs

surround   

and   

earlier   

mullion,   

but   

mainly

Georgian   

sash,   

and   

a   

Dutch   

gable   

to   

the

West.  

The  

interior  

is  

decorated  

with  

early  

18th

and   

19th   

century   

paintings   

and   

furniture,

together with some internal door features.

On  

the  

22nd  

January  

1784,  

by  

Royal  

Warrant,

a  

Baronetcy  

was  

bestowed  

on  

the  

family.  

  

The

Hall  

is  

now  

the  

home  

of  

Sir  

David,  

the  

9th

baronet,  

his  

wife  

Liz  

(Lady  

Dodsworth)  

and

their children.

© Thornton Watlass Hall 2018

History